Rio de Janeiro:
Modern lines and forms of silver contrast with primitive nuggets of coral to create a unique statement necklace that is contemporary, but still soul-filled. Geometric shapes of the silver beads alternate with organic coral forms, creating harmony among contrasts. Lush, vibrant hues of orange mingle with liquid silver giving this bold necklace energy and motion.
The chunky coral is cut from bamboo coral found in the warm waters of the South Pacific. It is dyed to obtain the brilliant orange color and then polished smooth. Coral is a calcium carbonate that is built up by the skeletons of small sea animals. Bamboo coral gets its name because it grows in segmented branches, similar to bamboo, with beige sections that partially cover a black under layer. The beads retain the texture of their natural formations which gives them a primitive, natural appeal.
All of the silver in this necklace has a base of terra cotta that is kiln-fired, coated with rough copper, re-fired and then coated with pure silver. Being hand-formed, these beads are inexact giving them unique charm and personality. The magnificent brass bicone beads at both ends of the necklace are antique African brass from Nigeria or Cameroon. This beautiful one-of-a-kind neck collar closes with a giant brass lobster clasp and can adjust from 15 to 19 inches using the attached antique brass cable chain.
The brilliant orange of this coral makes me think of the sun at sunset and I have read that some of the most spectacular sunsets in the world can be seen from the beaches of Rio de Janeiro. Considered to be among the most beautiful cities in the world, this Brazilian region is a modern day city in the midst of beautiful natural surroundings. Rio de Janeiro means River of January in Portuguese.
The Mixed Media Orange Bracelet and Orange Spiral Earrings accessorize nicely with this designer coral necklace and make the perfect set for the fall season!
- Organic orange coral nuggets
- Antique silver-plated Grecian terra cotta beads
- Antique silver-plated Grecian terra cotta leaf pendant
- Bronze washers
- African brass bicones from Cameroon
- Antique brass textured chain
- Antique brass lobster clasp
Length: 15" + 4" extender
* I make every piece of jewelry myself with gemstones and natural materials I get from all over the world. Due to the nature and availability of the materials, each piece of jewelry will vary slightly from the original. Every piece will be equally beautiful and every piece is an original work of art.